King's Lynn dog owners beware!

King's Lynn dog owners beware!
Photo credit: The Barking Bugle - note this dog is not one of the dogs affected

A Town and Around reader contacted us this morning with some disturbing news.

She said that there have been two cases of dogs being ill and needing veterinary treatment after eating human excrement left behind the Red Mount in Kings Lynn.

The symptoms include distress, barking, leaning as if drunk, and a strange look in the eyes. It is believed that the excrement could contain drugs. The smell has been described as similar to mothballs.

T&A contacted our local Veterinary practice, Coastal Vets and Chris Tansley said: Thanks for the information. Fortunately cannabis intoxication is rarely fatal but they might require supportive care from a vet (fluids, antibiotics etc), however if nobody is aware of the cannabis ingestion there are lots of other (potentially much more serious) issues that the vets will be considering. This extract from the website below seems to match our experiences (fortunately rare!).

Many of the signs of intoxication are neurological. Pets may become wobbly and uncoordinated. They may be hyperactive or sleepy, disoriented, and/or very vocal. Their pupils may dilate, giving them a wild-eyed appearance, and they may drool excessively or vomit. They may also develop urinary incontinence (i.e., urine leakage). In severe cases, tremors, seizures, and coma can result.

The Latest News in North-West Norfolk